- Let’s talk about female barrier methods this Valentine’s Day.
February 13, 2019
Internal condoms (also known as female condoms) are soft plastic pouches that you can insert into your vagina or anus to protect against pregnancy and STIs. Like external condoms—also called male condoms—they create a barrier that prevents ejaculation (cum) from entering the vagina or anus. When worn correctly, they offer the same protection as ...
- I have breast implants and over the last 2 and a half years I have developed over 30 illness symptoms. I came across a group called ‘breast implant illness’ and to my surprise there are thousands of women suffering in silence like me! I need more information on BII and the risks of breast implants.
February 4, 2019
We agree that more needs to be done to protect people against unnecessary harm caused by silicone gel-filled breast implants. Implants have been on the market for more than 30 years, and during that time they’ve been used by millions of women, and yet, we still don’t know exactly what kind of problems they can ...
- I’ve got a question about estrogen creams. My provider has recommended I use Estrace vaginal cream and I wanted to check in about the carcinogenic effects of doing something like this.
January 15, 2019
Some postmenopausal women experience vaginal pain or discomfort when they have intercourse or a gynecological exam. Vaginal tissues can become thinner after menopause, causing dryness and itching. For some women, regular intercourse or other sexual stimulation is enough to keep the vagina supple, while other women find that vaginal lubricants prevent discomfort that might otherwise ...
- Have you ever heard of AlgaeCal? I’m being deluged with ads saying any nutrient supplied in natural form such as from plants is better absorbed than nutrients supplied from rocks.
December 19, 2018
AlgaeCal is a calcium supplement produced by AlgaeCal Inc. that is made from red algae. AlgaeCal claims that their supplements slow bone loss, increase bone density, and are easily digestible. They say that because the algae plant draws calcium and minerals from seawater, the calcium is “pre-digested” and is more bio-accessible and “bone cell friendly.”
- What is PrEP?
December 12, 2018
Pre-exposure Prophylaxis, also known as PrEP, is when people take medicine to lower their risk of getting HIV. HIV works by hijacking healthy immune system cells and using them to produce more of the virus. PrEP prevents the virus from taking hold and starting that process. Currently, a combination of two HIV drugs, tenofovir and ...
- What is a colonic? Is it beneficial?
November 29, 2018
Colonics, also known as colonic irrigation or colon hydrotherapy, are used to flush out large portions of the bowel system. Colonics are controversial when used for continuous bowel cleanses because of the risks associated with them.
Colonics are different from enemas. While enemas can be done at home and are a one-time infusion, colonics involve multiple ...
- What is the endometrial stripe and how is it connected to uterine cancer?
November 8, 2018
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), there are five main types of cancer that affect women’s reproductive organs. These are cervical, ovarian, uterine, vaginal, and vulvar cancers, with uterine cancer affecting 50,600 women in the United States each year.
It is important to know the signs and symptoms of uterine cancer because it ...
- I have been hearing about an app called Natural Cycles. What is it? Is it an effective method of contraception?
October 25, 2018
Natural Cycles is the first smartphone application (“app”) for contraception cleared by the FDA. It is a high-tech version of the classic rhythm method (also called natural family planning or the fertility awareness method) in which users track their ovulation cycles in order to avoid pregnancy.
It is one of several dozen fertility apps available ...
- What is the most recent information on the HPV vaccine?
October 11, 2018
Human papillomavirus (HPV) is one of the most prominent sexually transmitted infections in the United States. Over 100 different strains of HPV can be passed along from partner to partner and while not all of them cause cancer, many still cause genital warts or cervical lesions. The Gardasil HPV vaccine is designed to protect against ...
- I’ve seen a lot more advertising for organic, cotton tampons. Is there something wrong with current brands? Is 100% cotton better?
October 1, 2018
It’s incredibly important to know what you are putting in your body, especially your vagina. Vaginas are highly sensitive and knowing how to take care of them, clean them, and protect them from Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) are necessary skills. In the US, 70% of women use tampons, and most do so without concern. The ...
- I hear that during his confirmation hearing, Brett Kavanaugh referred to birth control as “abortion-inducing drugs.” Does birth control cause abortion?
September 14, 2018
When asked about his dissent in the Priests for Life case, Brett Kavanaugh said that by filling out a form the employer did not want to be “complicit in the provision of the abortion-inducing drugs.” This rhetoric, conflating contraception and abortion, is used by anti-choice activists to intentionally confuse the issue.
Simply put – no, birth ...
- I know ella and Esmya are chemically the same, so should I be worried about similar issues when taking ella?
August 22, 2018
I just read about the FDA refusing to approve Esmya because of safety issues, and I’m concerned. I know ella and Esmya are chemically the same, so should I be worried about similar issues when taking ella?
Both ella and Esmya contain the chemical compound ulipristal acetate, a selective progesterone receptor modulator. Selective progesterone receptor modulators ...
- Is it true that women are more negatively affected by medical devices than men?
August 8, 2018
Is it true that women are more negatively affected by medical devices than men?
When it comes to clinical trials of new drugs and medical devices, all too often, it’s still a man’s world. For decades, most biomedical research focused on men, including research on medical devices intended for both men and women.
According to the Food ...
- I was diagnosed with pelvic organ prolapse (POP). What are the side effects of a vaginal/pelvic mesh treatment?
August 1, 2018
I was diagnosed with pelvic organ prolapse (POP). What are the side effects of a vaginal/pelvic mesh treatment?
If you’ve been diagnosed with pelvic organ prolapse, you are far from alone: research indicates up to 50 percent of women over the age of 50 experience POP, which occurs when organs sag or fall into the vaginal ...
- Bayer has recently announced they will remove Essure from the market, but my doctor has just recommended Essure as permanent birth control since it will be available until the end of the year… what should I know?
July 25, 2018
Bayer has recently announced they will remove Essure from the market, but my doctor has just recommended Essure as permanent birth control since it will be available until the end of the year… what should I know?
Let’s start with the basics. Essure is a permanent birth control procedure, where two metal spring-like devices made of ...
- What does Trump’s Supreme Court nominee mean for the future of women’s health?
July 12, 2018
What does Trump’s Supreme Court nominee mean for the future of women’s health? I’m extremely worried about the possibility of Roe v. Wade being overturned.
Trump campaigned with a promise to conservatives that he would fill the federal courts from the top down with judges to their liking, securing a conservative judiciary for generations to come. ...
- How can I get an Addyi prescription if my insurance does not cover it?
June 28, 2018
My doctor prescribed me Addyi for HSDD and I cannot afford it and my insurance does not cover it. Any ideas how I can get the prescription?
Our compliments to you for exploring ways to make your sexual experience more satisfying. Too many cultural forces give women the message that their sexuality is about something other ...
- Why have suicide rates amongst women increased more than twice as fast as men’s since 2010?
June 20, 2018
Nearly 45,000 Americans over the age of 10 died by suicide in 2016. This is more than double the number of Americans who died by homicide in the same year.
The general consensus amongst top experts is that very little is known about why women’s suicide rates are growing so quickly. There is never a single ...
- Why are women usually not tested for HPV until age 25?
June 13, 2018
I am 21 years old and I am about to go to my first gynecologist appointment. Along with my annual Pap test, I wanted to get tested for sexually transmitted infections. I’ve heard before that doctors usually won’t screen for HPV until a patient is 25 years old even though it’s really common. Why is ...
- Should I delay supplementing with formula after giving birth?
June 7, 2018
Should I delay using formula to feed my baby after giving birth? After giving birth to my last child, I was pressured into signing an agreement saying I would delay supplemental feeding, even if I was unable to produce enough breast milk or any at all. I was hesitant to sign and was very confused.